If you are a frequent baker, it is likely that you always have every ingredient for a delicious cake in your kitchen. Cake is always a crowd-pleaser, so it is an ideal go-to treat for unexpected company. Good cake is baked long enough for the batter not to be raw anymore, but not too long, either, so it is still moist and smooth.
It has to be taken out of the oven at the right moment to make sure it is just that. So how you know when your cake is ready?
Before you can do anything, make sure you have a delicious recipe to make your cake. Truthful Food has some delicious recipes to choose from. Just check out the [recipe page]!
When you have been working with your oven and certain recipes for a while, you know how long your cake needs to be in the oven for, to get the result you are looking for. When trying out a new recipe, getting to know a new oven or if you are an infrequent baker, it gets more complicated. For those situations, this simple test is the perfect solution.
- Keep an eye on your cake through the window in your oven. If you have a good recipe, the temperature and the baking time should be in harmony. If this is a new experiment, however, it is possible that you need to make some adjustments. For tips and suggestions check out my article [Tips for making Cakes].
- Do not open your oven for at least the first three-quarters of the indicated baking time.
- Method 1) Open your oven and use a cake tester or skewer to prick into your cake.
Take it out right away, close the oven and check if there is any batter on your skewer or tester.
If there is (wet) batter on your tester, leave the cake in the oven for an additional five minutes and test again. If your cake is done, there should be nothing on the tester but a little bit of moisture.
- Method 2) Open your oven and use a thermometor to check the temperature in the center of your cake.
Depending on the cake, the temperature should be between 90-100 degrees Celsius or 200-210 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take your cake out of the oven, let it cool down before you cut it and enjoy!
Tip: you can also use this method to check if other baked goods like cupcakes and muffins are ready!
Did you enjoy this article? Please share it or leave a comment and follow Truthful Food on social media so that you won’t miss out on anything new!
Leave a Reply